Forum home Problem solving

Clematis dead or alive

YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 196
Hi my clematis 'new love' was growing and flowering really well last year. I read that I am supposed to prune all the growth down which I did. I was thinking it would have started to show signs of life especially with the mini heatwave we had a few weeks ago. It still is showing no life. Is it dead or too early yet?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,471
    Too early, hopefully. They often play dead.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,021
    Mine have only just start shooting this week.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    I think you might have pruned that back too far. Pruning should be done back to a pair of buds, not lower than that. Were there buds on it when you pruned?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    Definitely pruned too low but it may well send up fresh shoots from the roots if you can give it some encouragement.  I would give it a good soaking as the compost looks dry to me and then a liquid feed of rose or tomato food to encourage it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 196
    Oh I dont think I saw any buds when I pruned. So soak now then feed after it starts growing?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    Soak to make sure the fleshy roots are moist then feed so they have energy to produce shoots.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thankyou. Will do.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 626
    Looks like a 'Norwegian Blue' to me.
    Sunny Dundee
    edited 6 April
    Lol you can tell that from no leaves, no stem or flowers. It's new love clematis.
    If it was a joke @Balgay.Hill I'm sorry. It flew right over my head lol.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 626
    edited 6 April
    Sorry @Ynnead ,it was an old Monty Python joke. :)

Sunny Dundee