Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgettes in bud!

HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Liverpool Posts: 237
On a table in my south facing bay! Safe to say I'm going to have plenty of courgettes, but what should I do? Been holding off planting them out, trying to get to the end of the month, but they're about to swallow my living room! Should I go for it now, or resist for a bit longer? 
It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,158
    I don't even put the seed in until 1st May.
    Put them in a bigger pot.   It will make an unusual house plant.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351
    I do the same as @fidgetbones … I haven’t sown mine yet … I’ll probably do it this weekend along with the tomatoes. 

I won’t plant them out until the end of May at the earliest and there’s only so much space on the windowsills 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,962
    Did you buy your greenhouse @Heartinthedirt? I see you were thinking of buying one last year? If so you could put your courgettes in there and fleece them over when the weather is cold and gradually harden them off when the weather is warmer.
  • HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Liverpool Posts: 237
    floralies said:
    Did you buy your greenhouse @Heartinthedirt? I see you were thinking of buying one last year? If so you could put your courgettes in there and fleece them over when the weather is cold and gradually harden them off when the weather is warmer.
    Hi Floralies. I actually got a free one off Gumtree! Over the moon about that. Thanks for the tip. Over-enthusiastic novice sowing things far too early! Have more tomatoes, chillis, and aubergines than I'll ever have space for! 
    It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    Mine are also still in the seed packet, I would throw them into your greenhouse you've still got plenty of time to sow more if they die from the cold.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564
    Don’t get over excited, most of the first flowers are males. 
    I wouldn’t be sowing mine yet either,  might be a good idea to get a notebook and write down the best sowing times for each type of seed you grow, on information you pick up along the way. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• MessynessyMessynessy Posts: 70
    I have the same problem! 6 huge, healthy courgettes in bud and no idea what to do with them now. I’ve put them in used take away coffee cups but they need potting on again. It’s quite mild on the south coast where I am so I might risk them outside. My budget wound stretch to a greenhouse this year.