Forum home Plants

Echeveria

mchuamchua Posts: 179
Hey folks,

A few weeks ago I replanted my mum’s echeveria’s into separate pots with nice fresh MP compost.  They were previously potted up using soil from the garden, so there were many weeds in the old ones.  A couple of them are doing a fine, but some others are starting to arch downwards on the lower leaves.  Hope this pic shows what I mean.  Seems strange. 

They’re on a south facing windowsill. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    isn't that a sempervivum?
    Devon.
  • mchuamchua Posts: 179
    Hostafan1 said:
    Oh?  :#
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    mchua said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    Oh?  :#
    I might be wrong
    Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,456
    Both echeverias (which this is not) and sempervivums need a lot of grit mixing in to give a free draining compost.  If you use MPC it is too fibrous, mix it 50/50 with grit.
    Both echeverias (which this is not)
    What is it?  :D. I’m a little reluctant to repot again so soon.  A couple of the other ones are sending out offsets already. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,456
    I think it is a sempervivum same as Hostafan says. Also known as house leek(not edible) Usually hardier than echeveria which  go to mush in a hard frost.  House leeks can live on a rockery outside, they are often used in green roofs as they tolerate dry conditions.
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 408
    Agreed it's sempervivums. It can live outdoors or indoors, and it loves direct sunlight. Think your one looks OK. To make it happier you can consider using cacti/succulent potting mix, or just add grit (I sometimes add sand too), and move it to a warmer sunnier location.

The offsets you can pull them off (if you want) and they will root very easily.
    Alright, thank you.  :). Ill
    consider the succulent mix, definitely.  I may wait till next spring now because I only repotted them a few weeks ago, don’t want to disturb the roots too much. They’ve had a hard life in that weedy garden soil from before. 
    They prefer that hard sort of soil. Too rich and damp a soil and they can rot off.
  • Don't worry about disturbing the roots, it'd be much happier in a grittier free-draining medium. Also move it outside (do it gradually to let it harden off). The lower leaves 'arching down' is probably in response to not enough light. Sempervivums are outdoor plants