Forum home Problem solving

Powdery Mildew and Scales

Hi, 

I’ve had a right time of it. Scales has killed one of my plants and the other I think I’ve saved. But now there are white flecks on all my plants. I think it may be powdery mildew.

First, I wiped it off with a soft cloth, but it appears to be there again this morning. I’m using neem oil with fairy liquid for the scales, I’ve now added baking soda. 

I understand it doesn’t kill the powdery mildew. Is there a way of riding it completely? 

• B3B3 Posts: 21,475
    Is that a bay tree? Is it inside? If yes, the plant will be much healthier outside.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Oh that’s interesting. Even in winter? 

OK, will move it outside. Unfortunately the Powdery Mildew is also now on my money plant and peace Lilly. 
  • B3 said:
    Is that a bay tree? Is it inside? If yes, the plant will be much healthier outside.
    I’ve moved it outside ☺️
    edited 5 April
    You might need to acclimatise it if it's led a protected life so far😊
    Eventually, it will be happy outside but don't depend on the rain to keep it watered if it's in a pot. 
    It looks like it could do with a bigger pot too.
  • Cool. Thanks. 

And as for the powdery mildew on the other plants? Can I get rid of it?
    That's usually caused by dryness , I think, but someone knowledgeable about that kind of thing will be along soon I'm sure
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,531
    edited 5 April
    I don't think it's mildew of any sort.
    It could be aphids or possibly bay sucker.
    I agree it will be much happier outside now the chilly weather has passed and the cooler weather should clear the aphids (if that's what they are).
    If it's bay suckers - keep an eye out for leaves curling which is an indication.

Ps - you mention scales - can you see any tiny shells that look like tiny brown limpets on the branches - if so, they're scale insects
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,402
    Yes, bay will be much happier outside ... but if yours has been indoors lately then I'd bring it back indoors overnight for the first week or so, just until it gets used to the lower night time temperatures  :)
    Mine's been outside for probably about 15 years now ... in a large pot on the terrace ... I protect the pot from hard frost but the bay itself has been unprotected right through the Beast from the East etc ... the only thing to remember is their roots can cope with the cold, but not 'cold and wet' so make sure the compost is gritty, soil-based and free-draining ... and it'll hardly ever need watering in the winter ... I don't think I've ever watered mine in the winter. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8 said:
    I don't think it's mildew of any sort.
    It could be aphids or possibly bay sucker.
    I agree it will be much happier outside now the chilly weather has passed and the cooler weather should clear the aphids (if that's what they are).
    If it's bay suckers - keep an eye out for leaves curling which is an indication.

Ps - you mention scales - can you see any tiny shells that look like tiny brown limpets on the branches - if so, they're scale insects

Yes, so I think I’ve got rid of the scales. Just now using neem to kill any eggs.

As for powdery mildew, I’m really not sure. It brushes off. But then seems to reappear in the morning. I’ll check out those other things you mention. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,531
    If it is scale insects, the little white flecks could be scale insect nymphs that have hatched from under the scales.
    Neem oil should help  - it works by sticking the insects in place so that are unable to move or breathe, so they die.
    If the plant is outside too it'll be happier.
    Baking soda will probably do more harm than good, other than that I think you're doing the right thing.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.