Forum home Plants

Anyone grown Escallonia without leaf spot?

TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,570
Hi,

I planted an Escallonia Apple Blossom last spring.  It was about 20 cm when I bought it and it's now a healthy metre tall.

Almost every guide I read about their care mentions leaf spot and there are also a lot of old posts on here about it.

Does anyone have any Escallonia which they've grown successfully without succumbing to leaf spot?  I'm just wondering if it's inevitable or something that can be avoided if it's in the right conditions etc...

Thanks,

J.

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 419
    I bought one as a filler shrub for my brothers garden and it was there for three years before we moved it down the allotment. It's not had any signs of disease in the 4 years we have had it and our neighbours have one that been there as long as I can remember and it's been the same. Ours wasn't pruned until I dug it up to move and our neighbours is clipped a few times a year.
    Both examples are planted somewhere summy but partly sheltered and we have sandy, neutral ish, soil.  
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,570
    That's encouraging @thevictorian

I've put mine close to the shelter of a south facing wall so it's nicely guarded from any strong winds and it's in soil that drains well.

It must be happy if it's tripled in size since last spring.