Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 212
    @Lizzie27 how long have you had your montana in a pot? Last year I got one for a (huge) container, and the learned it's probably too vigorous and spreading to be happy in a pot. This year, it's absolutely covered in buds, and seems pretty healthy, but I was wondering if I should give it away to someone who can set it free... so I'm interested to know how yours is doing :smile:
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 335
    JessicaS said:
    My Cartmanii (Early sensation not joe, oops) is just about to open... most buds its ever had! Partial shady spot.
    That looks poised and will be superb when it blooms. The buds on our cartmanii Avalanche are in a similar place but we go on holiday shortly and I suspect we're going to miss it's 'awakening'! I've spent two years relandscaping the garden and planting it up and now, just as it comes alive for the first time, we'll miss it! 
  • JessicaSJessicaS Posts: 862
    @Astraeus best its ever looked, slow starter this one, 4 years ish! Dont worry, still be there when you get back, the flowers last a while!
    This dosent really cling but has tendrils behind the arbour its next to so i will tie them into roof I think and cover it!
    The armandii apple blossom on the other sidds not doing so well, think the stem got damaged. Will reinforce it and maybe put another one on that fence over by cartmanii if they like the same spots!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,374
    Hello @BlueBirder, I must guiltily confess to just bunging that montana (tiny specimen, 1 of 3 from Malvern F S into an available pot which is far too small for it. It's got to be 4 or 5 years old now. I don't really want a huge montana on that particular fence as there's a climbing rose and wisteria on the other side, but I do enjoy the small amount of blossom I get which I can see from the kitchen window!

Not to be recommended for a montana though.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,622
    ...somebody had fun training that around satellite dishes...

.. fabulous 'Pixie' ^^..
    East Anglia, England
  • Lol @Fire. My daughter's just moved into a 3rd floor flat like that. If we plant one now they could have a Montana around their kitchen window in a few years 🤣