Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• FireFire Posts: 18,966
    edited September 2022
    My Maximowicziana Terniflora is gearing up. I'm very glad to have it.
    I'm kind of sad it's a group three and will all die back.
    Good late nectar for forage.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,399
    That's a rather lovely clematis @Fire but what a mouthful of a name!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    edited September 2022
    I believe 'Terniflora' covers it. I thought I'd managed to kill the other one. But no.
    @Obelixx, need some advice please. I think I remember you saying once that you cut down your Group 2 clematis to the ground which perks them up? I've got C. Crystal Fountain, a group 2 and have just inserted a large metal obelisk over it. Having second thoughts about whether or not to cut it right down now as it's a tangled mess at the bottom and make it start again next year? It's in a south facing bed, with a wall behind it and wisteria above which it grows up into.
    Any thoughts please - and anybody else.
    The Terinflora is just finishing now - a good six weeks of flower.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    @Lizzie27 I wouldn't cut it down completely now as that tangled mess will give frost protection if you get a cold winter.   Leave it till spring.  The tangled mess will be easy to pull out and you can then give it a good feed of slow release fertiliser for clematis, roses or tomatoes.

If you really want to cut it back now, give it a thick mulch of garden compost or soil improver to protect the crown but also encourage healthy root growth and extra shoots next year.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks @Obelixx, I''ll wait till spring as you suggest in case we get a cold winter.
  • Alfie_Alfie_ Posts: 448
    These clematis on here are stunning! I definitely must get some I have seen here. We have an Armandii on the front of our cottage which is 10 metres in length! Love it’s beautiful evergreen leaves as well as its flowers albeit short lived:

One that did really well this year is Clematis Jackmanii (at least I think this is it) which is grown with honeysuckle Lonicera Halliana. Together they have a very long flowering time to cover a worn timber outbuilding:

@Obelixx can this one be cut fairly close to the ground in spring too? This spring I just cut out everything that looked bad so didn’t really reduce it in height much.