Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• Wjs57Wjs57 Posts: 35
    I am considering moving my new ( planted in a pot this spring ) venosa violacea into the ground for the future. Would it be best to do it this autumn or wait until after pruning it in early spring next year ? Thanks as always .
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    I would say autumn, as long as your soil is moist and you prepare the ground well and then water thoroughly after planting so the clematis can get its roots down deep over winter and has nutrients to fuel growth above ground next spring.   

Your Venosa Violacea is very hardy and will be fine in the ground.  Just remember to prune it hard next spring and then feed it.   Water it during any dry spells next spring and summer.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Wjs57Wjs57 Posts: 35
    Obelixx said:
    I would say autumn, as long as your soil is moist and you prepare the ground well and then water thoroughly after planting so the clematis can get its roots down deep over winter and has nutrients to fuel growth above ground next spring.   

Your Venosa Violacea is very hardy and will be fine in the ground.  Just remember to prune it hard next spring and then feed it.   Water it during any dry spells next spring and summer.
    Thank you @o@Obelixx. I’m glad to hear it is very hardy and will take your advice. I’m on a mission to improve my garden borders so will definitely prepare the soil well too.

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,847
    It would be nice to know what the name of this clematis is if it's not too much like many others. It is one of two plants I bought with no specific name to grow up the pergola. As it is so young the flowers are very small so possibly could get bigger as the plant matures. I was surprised to see any flowers at all. 
    Many thanks for any suggestions. 

I think the flowers look bigger than they actually are. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,847
    Thank you very much @Obelixx. It certainly fits the bill! Ville de Lyon it is.  :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,258
    The plants here seem to be out of sorts after the hot weather. I have The Prince in flower, never usually this late

And my Montana Nubia? With new growth.🤷‍♀️

• My clematis Arabella, growing through a Claire Austin rose has been badly affected by mildew but is still producing new flowers- I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to tidy it up by deadheading and removing damaged leaves etc, or just cut my losses this year and cut it back?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,399
    Have you given it lots of water? If not, I'd try that before cutting it back - I hate losing flowers - any flower! You can cut off old dead leaves of course.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Yes I was really careful to keep it well watered all summer, and we didn’t have the drought (Cumbria)…