Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Posts: 536
    I saw a sieboldii at the garden centre today, really like the look of them, the purple centre on the white pettles really stand out, but the only flowers on one of them was a large white/green double looking flower.
    Is this how they eventually go, or was it labelled wrong?

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,630
    @RoddersUK
    ..this is a form of sieboldii... I can't remember how it faded, mine died on me after a few years..

East Anglia, England
    Thats what the label looked like, slightly smaller purple section in the middle.
    Does that swell up and turn all white?
    ..checking my photos for faded flowers, they swell up a bit but stay purple/mauve.  I'm not seeing what you're describing.  Otherwise I can't remember to be honest.

Best buy from a reputable online supplier.   Mine was the cultivar Clematis florida sieboldii ' Viennetta'..   it's a bit tender and easily ruined by late spring hard frosts unfortunately.. but it does bounce back to flower later... mine just gave up eventually..
    East Anglia, England
    Ok thanks @Marlorena I recon their labelling is wrong
  • Wjs57Wjs57 Posts: 35
    @marlorena last month you kindly replied to my questions, including what to plant up a dead silver birch. Although I am holding off doing anything, I have looked at a lot of photos and websites and I rather like Star of India ( I have confined myself to group 3 as you suggested it). It also has been mentioned as good for beginners. What do you think of that choice ? It does look like a lovely flower in form and colour. Thanks.
    @Wjs57
    Hi,.. well I'm bound to say it's a good choice as I love this Clematis and it's incredibly easy to grow, but I would like to point out some other choices and why you might want to consider one or two others from these photos below..
    'Star Of India', flowers superbly until mid August, mine is just coming to a close now.  I might get the odd flower later.  'Victoria' is another beauty with large flowers over the same period.   Hugely vigorous.
    ..but there are other very easy clematis for beginners that have a longer season, from mid June to late Sept/October even..  and I want to show you these.. all are suitable for your purposes..

..these first 2 are truly exceptional..
    'Mme. Julia Correvon'.. wine red, just an amazing plant..

'Etoile Violette'.. a deep rich colour, very long season, incredibly easy..

..Etoile Violette with 'Minuet'..

'Minuet'.. I love the 2 tone colours, it makes a change, and this is also hugely vigorous and easy to grow...

'Prince Charles'.. another with a very long season and a lighter colour... one other very similar with perhaps a better name for some is 'Perle d'Azur', seen in all the best gardens..

..this is 'Rhapsody'.. very similar to Etoile Violette but a little different, not quite as dark....

...any of the above, but especially the first 3 I think..  see what you think but if you're still content with 'Star Of India' then go with that..  happy choosing your clematis !.. 
    East Anglia, England
    @Marlorena thank you for taking the time. I am really worried that clematis buying will never end now..I like so many of these that I am going to have to walk around my ( not massive ) town garden finding spots for more of them. Actually I think etoile Violette and Perle d’Azur may have pushed Star of India into third place. Your clematis are all absolutely stunning.
    ..it's always difficult to choose with so many new ones coming onto the market as well...   whichever one you get, don't forget to pinch out the growing tips next Spring, when it's growing rapidly, it improves the plant no end, especially in the first year.

Oh, and I've never used a slug pellet in my gardening life.  These clematis are so vigorous they eventually get away from any attacks that occur.. which can actually be beneficial, as snails pinch out the growing tips they enjoy, which is something we should do to make the plants bushy and more floriferous...  all those clematis were got at in Spring but soon recovered.. but one needs to keep an eye out in the first year though..
    East Anglia, England
    @Marlorena such good advice particularly re pinching out. I have only just started growing dahlia too and have learnt about the benefits of doing it to them. It hadn’t occurred to me to do it with clematis too. Thank you as ever.