Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    Agree about Huldine - one of my faves - https://clematisontheweb.org/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=20 - and the double decker pot system is clever.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Wjs57Wjs57 Posts: 35
    @Marlorena I really like your double decker pot idea. Does this mean you will never have to transplant the clematis that’s growing there ? 
    Can anyone here inspire me with the best clematis to grow up what we now know to be our dead silver birch. It is being cut down to a moderately tall but safe stump next month and will look very sad. The bed it’s in is quite shaded and a bit but not too dry.  A Japanese quince and a camellia would be neighbours as would a forsythia. Obviously we can enrich the soil before planting . 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,630
    @Wjs57
    .. re pot, no I won't be transplanting it just yet, maybe further down the line.  In time I might do some root pruning that's all, or try something different. It's doing very well.

... one of the gr. 3's would be nice for your Birch.  I like 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' for its informality and freedom of flower.  Big choice.. 
    East Anglia, England
    @Marlorena. Thanks for your replies. I will check out group 3 and the one you specifically mentioned. 
  • FayeGFayeG Posts: 34
    The images of clematis on this thread are amazing.  Fabulous to look through for ideas.

Can I ask... do clematis get bigger each year?

It's my first year for clematis and I bought quite a few.  Some have done well, the mini ones are pretty sad but I'm still excited for what's to come (I think).

I got mine from Evisons in early summer at 18 months old - I've seen flowers but nothing so spectacular as all these.  Can I be positive or would you expect I should have as good a show this year? 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,399
    @FayeG,  You have to be a bit patient with clematis when newly planted as they should concentrate their energy on growing roots rather than flowers. They have an extensive root system when fully grown and like lots of water, feeding and sunshine.
    Given those basics you can expect more and bigger flowers in the future.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    @FayeG In my experience clematis can take 2 or 3 years to get settled in and perform at their best as they do take time to get their roots down and established.  Correct feeding and watering will help them establish more quickly.

Once established, and correctly pruned, you can expect group 2 and 3 clematis to produce more stems from the base each year.   Group 1s will grow bigger but can be controlled if needs be. 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw