Forum home Plants

2022 - Clematis

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    When comparing them before purchase I found Prince Charles insipid compared to Blue Angel (as it is now known) so bought th elatter.  It has a similar colour but stronger flowers and a lovely bar on the reverse.    It's one that I brought with me to this garden when we moved and I find the flowers are a bit smaller here, presumably owing ti the heat and droughts we get so I'm planning to beef up the mulching and feeding, once we've had some decent rain.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WAMSWAMS Posts: 1,944
    That pic makes me miss my Star of India, a victim of the Storm Eunice Garden Arch Disaster. I love the red cross running through her.

Prince Charles was the only clem I have bought online, from Taylor's. I didn't realise how small the flowers were. It's easy enough to find clematises in shops around here so I will just buy them in flower from now on.🤷‍♀️

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    You can also check them out on here https://clematisontheweb.org/new-clemlistsearch.cfm 

Enter a name/colour/flowering time or whatever and you'll get info on group, pruning, flower size and colour and much more.   Then you can order more interesting ones online instead of the bog standard ones in shops.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,630
    @mikeymustard
    ..beautiful photos of some richly dark clematis... glad you had a nice break away.. your son did a great job by the looks of it..

I'm after a white clematis so I looked up 'Destiny' and find it's a bit short for my purposes.. so I'll keep looking.. I suppose it'll be Alba Luxurians..
    East Anglia, England
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,850
    @Marlorena
    That Star of India is superb,beautiful colours.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,213
    edited July 2022
    This morning visited a park with interesting monumental sculptures in it. Took pics of this white clematis (medium size), which reminded me of my own C. 'Forever friends', but definitely a different cultivar. Can anyone name it?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,630
    I think that's 'Huldine', judging by the markings on the back.. 
    East Anglia, England
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,213
    @Marlorena Interesting double-decker pot combination!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).