Forum home Problem solving

Unhappy rhododendron?

Planted this rhododendron last year, it's in a shadyish position and doesn't seem to be happy or growing... Any advice or ideas? 

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 410
    Is it in acidic soil?
  • Jammy1981Jammy1981 Posts: 14
    It's in neutral slightly alkaline soil, do you think this is the issue? Shall I feed with ericaceous plant feed or put it in a pot with ericaceous soil? X
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,450
    Neutral to acid is what they need. Better to get a decent container for it - or build one, because unless it's a dwarf variety [is one of the Japanese azaleas] it'll struggle in most pots.
    You need a soil based medium , not compost, although you can add that too to get good drainage. Compost on it's own won't sustain a shrub for more than a few months. You'll need to be vigilant with it's care - watering especially.
    If it was only planted last year it'll just be getting established, so it wouldn't have grown that much anyway unless it had very good conditions   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    Could we have a picture?Do you know the variety? I know Fairy says that they struggle in pots,we do have both azalea and Rhododendrons in pots. Posted picture just this minute on" problems with azalea." Hubby is actually feeding and watering as we speak!
    It depends on the pot though @Nanny Beach, and also what it's made of, which is why I said most pots. They always need more care in a container of any kind anyway. There's also huge variation in the eventual sizes etc, which makes a big difference. 

Sometimes people will say a plant's in a large pot, but what they call large is often not the case   ;)

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    edited 29 March
    Hello Fairy,ours are in plastic pots, have been for about 20 years now,takes 2 people to move them. Anything else that size would cost a fortune and be too heavy. I don't like plastic pots, but there we go. Some of them are nearer 30 years old. Hubby bought a couple of ton of Ericaceous soil,(not compost,)made a raised bed for quite a few of them,under the eucalyptus where the grass doesn't want to grow. To be honest,it's easier to keep the potted ones watered.
    That's where my 'japanese' garden is now.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,568
    The photos show it in very good health.
    It's got flower buds growing so it'll be in bloom soon.
    Looks all good to me.
    If you only planted it last year the first thing it'll do is concentrate on producing a strong root system. Once it's got that, it will start growing above the soil. Just needs a bit of time :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    I can't really see any problem with that plant @Jammy1981. The soil could do with a bit of a tidy up and some fresh compost, leaf mould or similar added to improve it,  but other than that, I don't see a problem. A layer of bark is always useful too, for any rhodos/azaleas etc. 
    What do you think is wrong with it?

Thanks everyone, that's great to hear that it looks OK. I will do as you suggested thanks again.