Forum home Problem solving

Azalea advice please.

Hi everyone,I have been given a beautiful Azalea plant by my lovely Son for Mother’s Day.
It is in full flower,but is much too big for the pot it is in as it feels top heavy.Would it be ok to repot it while it is in flower,or do I have to wait.Many thanks in advance.

• luis_prluis_pr Hurst, Texas Zone 8aPosts: 122
    You could do that but be aware that azaleas have shallow, tiny, fibrous roots that, if disturbed enough, may abort unopened and opened flower buds. Another alternative is to wait until the plant stops opening new flowers and then re-pot it.
  • DogmumDogmum DerbyshirePosts: 72
    So you don’t disturb the roots and potentially the flowers, you could stand the pot as it is in a slightly larger and heavier pot to ensure it doesn’t fall over and then replant once the flowers have finished.
    Tomorrow is another day
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,085
    I'd agree that it's best to do something else to give it stability just now. 
    Bear in mind that many of these plants are forced too, for specific times of year - Mothers' Day, Easter etc, so just keep an eye on it as the flowers die back, and give it time to develop a good root system.
    If you're planting it out later, make sure it doesn't go short of water until established, especially late summer/early autumn as that's when the new buds are formed for next year. It's even more important if you're keeping it potted. The right soil is important too if it's in a pot long term, but also if in the ground. Neutral to acidic  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 588
    If I am interpreting the photo correctly, it is a standard? May want to think about some kind of support for the trunk when you repot/replant, so it doesn't snap in the wind?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    Yes, leave it be for now, enjoy the flowers. Fairy has said everything,I would add,we do grow them in pots,huge ones, Ericaceous compost/garden soil 50/50. We scrape off a bit of compost in spring,get rid of any weeds,top dress with just compost. Miracle Gro, specific to Azaleas, Rhododendrons etc,feed spring/summer. You MUST water regularly, for next year flowers.....rain water.This ismy early one
  • Thank you everyone for your very useful advice,much appreciated & I will certainly be,taking everything you have all said on board,as I have never grown an Azlea before.I don’t even know what type of Azalea it is,although it came with a label & a few instructions,it dosn’t give the name of it.It just says,Large Azalea gift by Sainsburys.Nanny Beach,that is stunning!hope mine thrives like that.x
    Elizabeth,that one had been in that pot 20 years,you can't see the size of it. Next will be the luteum scented yellow,of you're very good I'll post a picture when it's flowering!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,085
    Is that a deciduous variety that still has a few leaves @Nanny Beach?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

•  Oh thank you Nanny Beach,look forward to seeing that one. Wow,20 years! that is some Azalea!beautiful.
    Yes, fairy,all the azaleas are,and our Rhododendrons are ever green.