Forum home Problem solving

Suggestions for recycling defunct garden hose

Just discovered defunct garden hoses shouldn't be put in the recycle bin, in fact they are one of the 5 worse recycling mistakes to make as they get tangled up with the recycling 'gubbings'.

The 'material' appears too good to be put in the household waste bin, so there must be something I can 'recycle' [upcycle?] them into. Pinterest has some good ideas, but I'm wondering if anyone has recycled them? I might have a go at making an outside door mat, or maybe, if the creative force are with me they could be turned into a plant container or two.

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,155
    Short lengths of old hosepipe make pretty good tree ties.  I thread string or wire through it, then wrap it around the tree and a stake crossing over in the space between the two and then tying together with the string on the outside of the stake.  It works well but unless you have dozens of trees to stake it won't use up much.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,106
    The doormat idea conjured up a vision of giant hosepipe crochet :D.
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 432
    JennyJ said:
    The doormat idea conjured up a vision of giant hosepipe crochet :D.
     :D Never thought about crocheting, I guess the needle would have to be made out of a fencing post  :D:dizzy:

Thanks @Redwing I could easily use some up on tying trees - it's much kinder on the tree than string!
    BenCotto said:
    Put it in a flower bed with some randomly scattered flower pots. Label it ‘Plants I have killed’, call it an art installation and get on the phone to the Tate.  😉
    Now if I were a psychiatrist  ;)
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,486
    Could you cut short lengths and poke them into containers and next to shrubs for deep watering? You might have to use a funnel to get the water into the pipe.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    Could you cut short lengths and poke them into containers and next to shrubs for deep watering? You might have to use a funnel to get the water into the pipe.
    I can see that working... thank you. Definitely food for thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,066
    Most home recycling nationally is still rigid plastic only.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 285
    My dad once used an old hose to make seats for garden chairs he made. He wove it in a bit like a cane chair seat. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    I think, but not 100% sure, that you can use lengths of hosepipe to make cloche tunnels hoops over your veg. I presume you put in canes each side of the row, thread the hosepipe over the top and perhaps support the middle by tying it to another cane. If you had a row of them you could even support the top of the 'hoop' by a long horizontal cane. Then you put either plastic sheets or fleece over the lot.
    I've never tried it but seen it on allotments?