Forum home Wildlife gardening

Which type of forget me not is this one? Myosotis sylvatica, Myosotis scorpioides, Myosotis arvensis

PeterJarvisPeterJarvis East KentPosts: 79
edited 27 March in Wildlife gardening

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,174
    There is only one type.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,410
    That's what I thought.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    They do self-seed a lot - hence their name.
    And if you put them in your compost bin then spread the compost - 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,596
    Two (slightly) interesting facts for you:
    1. The botanical name of myosotis is from the Greek for mouse ear reflecting the shape of the petal.
    2. The yellow ring in the centre of the flower turns to creamy brown once the plant is pollinated as an advisory to pollinating insects. It’s a bit like those ‘House Full’ signs you used to get outside cinemas.
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 352
    There are about 13 species types of Myosotis native to Britain, and hundreds of varieties worldwide.  Yours is most probably Myosotis sylvatica or Myosotis arvensis. They're the ones most of us are familiar with.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,293
    edited 27 March
    punkdoc said:
    There is only one type.
    I beg to differ ... the Forget me not commonly grown in gardens is Myosotis sylvatica ... the Wood Forget me not. 
    https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/wildflowers/wood-forget-me-not

However, there is also Myosotis arvensis ... the Field Forget me not ... another of those 'weeds' of agricultural land that I've hoed out of sugar beet fields many times.     https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/forget-me-not-common

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh