Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria

Hi 

is it too late to now prune my wisteria, I totally forgot to do the February prune but there are lots of wispy shoots now 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,585
    edited 26 March
    Not too late to tidy it up but be careful not to remove any flower buds which should be forming now.

I tend to prune mine thru the summer once the first main flush of flowers is over, removing long whippy shoots as they appear and shortening them back within bounds.

In winter OH goes up a ladder and removes any stems trying to dive under the guttering or roof tiles and then I tidy up any stragglers growing out from the main frame of branches.   We don't keep to a strict timetable and don't do teh strict counting back to two buds in Feb or 7 buds in July.  Too many stems now to bother with that.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107
    my wisteria was pruned by a new gardener in February and buds formed but i think frost or wind has damaged them they are dry and crumbling  Pics of current problem and previous condition when i was last able to do my own pruning - will it recover (what should I i do to prevent a recurrence) your advice and comments would be appreciated
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,585
    Leave it be.  It's been frosted.   It happens some years but won't affect the plant adversely.  Some buds may still be OK and open and you may well get a later flush of blooms.   You could try giving it a goo drink of water with some diluted rose or tomato fertiliser in it to encourage later buds to form and flower.  Minimum 15 to 25 litres tho, not just a dribble.

Friends of mine have one that grows along the south side of their house and then round the corner along the east side.   All the flower buds along the east side have been killed by recent frosts of -8C.   The ones on their south facing wall are fine and will open in the next few days.

My own have escaped damage so far except for having blooms stripped by strong winds when storm Diégo went thru on Friday.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,449
    See this discussion: Wisteria devasted by frost!!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107
    obelixx - thank you for your response  much appreciated,  i'm encouraged by your comments and will do as you suggest and water well + tomato feed