Forum home Garden design

Irrigation system ideas

Hi

i need some ideas to install an irrigation system at my garden. I installed a dripping system with a timer and it didn’t give me a great result. There’s not enough pressure and half of the plants were not very happy

i was thinking on installing different dripping phases, and manage each of them independently, so I won’t have that pressure problem anymore. Another idea I had was using sprinklers for the bottom side of the garden but it won’t cover the border one or the wall garden

based on your experience, what can you recommend? Probably there are better ideas I’m not even considering so I’m happy to hear from you

thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    I had a drip/sprinkler system years ago and didn't get on well with it.
    A few years ago I bought a soaker hose - that works very well, but if you need to water the pots, then it would not be suitable
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • When im at home i can water the plants, im ok with that. My worry is if i go one week off, and is super hot here. I want to have some system that automatically waters the plants

Thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Which plants are you referring to?  I can't see anything you have growing in the ground that would need watering if you were away for a week ... I hardly ever water established plants and shrubs in the ground.  If I have something recently planted that might suffer in a heatwave I give it a good soaking before I go away ... most things will be fine for a week.

However, if it's the plants in containers that's another matter ... some of those will need watering twice a day in hot spells.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 57
    We had an irrigation system in our last home in Hackney. It was a Gardena system, their products are he best I've come across. Pricey, but reliable, and there were all types/sizes of sprinkler, drips, pipes, joints etc. Brilliant. And there was a battery operated pump that you could programme for frequency and length of watering time etc.
  • Which plants are you referring to?  I can't see anything you have growing in the ground that would need watering if you were away for a week ... I hardly ever water established plants and shrubs in the ground.  If I have something recently planted that might suffer in a heatwave I give it a good soaking before I go away ... most things will be fine for a week.

However, if it's the plants in containers that's another matter ... some of those will need watering twice a day in hot spells.  

I think the shrubs on the border need watering, same as the wall garden, every year they suffer a lot.