Forum home Fruit & veg

Pakchoi

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 770
Has anyone ever grown Pakchoi? if so could you tell me how to go about it eg. can I grow it in pots, which soil, aspect etc? tia

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 316
    I sow the seed in trays and then plant it out in the garden or troughs it will grow in pots all right, the only things  to lookout for are slugs snail and flea beetle. I use it for stir fries when it is medium size, keep it well watered in dry and hot  weather because it tends to bolt it is better growing it later in the years, it is very hardy veg. I have some growing now for early stir fry veg.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,359
    I had some growing well in pots  late last summer ... the pots were 4ft above ground in a small leanto greenhouse ...  the plants were totally decimated overnight  by slugs ... I was left with stumps   :#

I might try again later this year ... gluttons for punishment, gardeners  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,700
    We have grown them many years in our polytunnel with great success. And even now we are still harvesting.
    Growing them outdoors didn't happen but in the polytunnel we have been able to use the leaves as salad leaves until they bulk up for later use.
    I sow the seeds indoors and then plant out the seedlings into the polytunnel. The new ones are doing well and we will be able to take some leaves off the new ones very soon.
    A great crop and worthwhile in the right conditions.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 770
    Thank you so much for your replies, most helpful.
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 789
    I've grown them in raised beds sown in modules in late summer. I cover with netting and have to be vigilant with regards to slugs 'n' snails. I water them often. I don't grow many as I don't eat that much of them - my main movtivation for growing them was I thought they were expensive in the shops - still are! Same goes for celariac & fennel.
  • Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 258
    A very timely thread for me, as I have a pack of free seeds from D T Brown.
    I have never grown them and only this morning I was looking at the pack, thinking how best to grow them.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,154
    I grow a row - say 12 at a time.  They don't grow very big and snails love them, so I cut about three and do them like this:  @Penny_Forthem  Separate the leaves from the stalks.   Slice the stalks up (like celery) and fry in butter, add the sliced up leafy part when the stalks are half way through cooking - s & p.  Cover.  10 minutes.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.