Forum home Problem solving

Houseplants

Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,338
Does anyone know if its possible to cut out the top of a Mexican Aloe Vera? Mine is very top heavy,its been flowering which has made it even more wobbly. Ive cut the flowers off as they were underwhelming. It needs to be more "squat". The whole thing is about 10" high from the compost.
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,568
    Bumping up in case there are any Aloe Vera experts out there  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,506
    It may be an idea to re-post your question with a title along the lines of  - Help with my top heavy Aloe Vera. I know many forum members grow them.

I had one years ago and I recall it done the same sort of thing and I'd sometimes find it on the floor when it toppled over.
    I can't remember what I done about it though....
    Hope you get some answers :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,338
    Thankyou for your reply @Pete.8  its a shame they get so topheavy as they are so goodtempered to keep. Ive decided to get a very sharp pointed knife and cut it down to half the height. Now wondering if I could propagate a new one with the off cut,worth a try as I have grit and Cacti compost.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,506
    Go for it!
    I recall that to get the best chance of rooting, once you've cut the top off, leave it until the wound has dried for a couple of days, then put it into some cacti compost.
    Good luck!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.