Forum home Problem solving

Camellia quandry

I was given a Camellia 'Margaret Davies' as a present to remember my sister named Margaret.  When the Camellia flowered it appears to have another strong pink flower on one of the main branches  with the white/pink tinge flowers you would expect on the other two.  Is it possible that a mistake has happened in the grafting process (if these shrubs are grafted)?  I don't want the pink shrub to take over, and it looks to be more vigorous than the white.  Should I actually remove the pink one at ground level?  Any suggestions would be welcome.  

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,064
    If you trace back the branch with the pink flowers, is it coming from above or below the graft point? If it's not grafted then it is possible that a branch has reverted. Either way if you don't want the pink flowers, the affected branch needs to be taken off.
  • Thank you for your reply - I think that it is coming from below the ground so I will remove it.  It does seem stronger than the white one and I don't want it to take over.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098
    White flowering plants are often less robust, so reversion can happen a bit more readily, and they can get taken over a bit more easily. 
    Certainly remove it.  :)
    They aren't normally grafted, but that might be the case with your shrub, especially as it's a white one. They aren't as straightforward. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for confirming that removal is OK.  I will do just that.