Forum home Problem solving

Foxes

Hi all,

We have foxes visit our garden as I am sure many of you do.  I don't mind the foxes, it is just the mess that they leave behind which is a real pain to clean up.  Is there anything that I can use to deter foxes from visiting?  I have seen many things online and tried various options such as water sprayers, High frequency sensors but nothing seems to work.

Thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,559
    Very difficult to deter foxes, as you have found,  they always seem to find a way somehow. This article might or might not be useful .
    https://foxproject.org.uk/deterrence/
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 944
    Have you asked if your neighbours are feeding them? 
  • Thanks Anni, I might try scoot actually as I have come across it before but not used it.  Thanks for the link.

a1154 - My direct neighbours aren't feeding them (I don't believe) but they do have a wild area in their garden where I am sure they hide in so it is pretty easy for them to jump the fence into our garden.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 779
    I have foxes coming into my garden even though it is completely fenced. I've seen them leaping over the fence and using the trees in the border to get into the garden, triggering the PIR floodlight. Sometimes they dig into my pots and bury stuff. I remove the buried treasure and put cut pieces of onion in the same spot. This at least deters them from digging into the same pot again. I have tried all sorts of sprays/gels, but I'm yet to find a proper solution.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,913
    You can get anti-fox sonic devices. I have the cat versions and they work pretty well.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 995
    Voss sonic make a range of ultrasonic repellers for unwanted garden visitors, including foxes, with a combination of sound and flashing lights.  They are solar with rechargeable batteries if there's been little sun.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 779
    I have a solar operated sonic device which I bought from bnq. It doesn't seem to deter them. I'll try the Voss one.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 995
    I have one to deter a neighbour's cat and it seems to be working.  It is remarkably sensitive with a wide range - I always turn it off when I'm working in the garden to preserve the batteries! Other members of this forum have also used them and found them to be effective.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,913
    Best to use mains connection if you can swing it. I think many people think the devices don't work because the battteries have run out. They are triggered by movement, so wind blowing vegetation can set them off. They might use more battery this way than you'd think.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,483
    edited 24 March
    We have fox/s that visit our orchard. We tried and tried to work out how they were getting in and out. Then one day we actually saw a fox just going through the pig wire. Amazing. Such a small area and it just went through.
    We aren't concerned about it or more as the rabbits that need to be curtailed.
    ps we used sonar to deter rabbits etc...didn't work