Forum home Problem solving

Cucumber telegraph stunted

For some reason my cucumber plants that I did from seed started OK, from 7cm to 9cm to 1 litre now 3 litre pots, and always inside with 20ish degrees are no taller than 18 inches.. they have the yellow flowers on them, but the bottom leaves are drooped. They haven't been under or over watered.... I don't think, I give them a good watering each evening.... its the cucumber telegraph improved version. 

I thought they'd be the same height as my tomato plants in the 3 litre pots now (about 3 feet)

Any advice? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,583
    It's difficult to tell without a photo, but one thought that occurred to me-
    How does the very bottom of the main stem look where it joins the compost? Cucumbers are susceptible to crown rot - sometimes the base of the stem splits or you may notice some white/grey mould at the bottom of the stem.

When I put mine in its final 22L pot I always plant it so the crown is slightly above the surrounding compost to try and ensure the crown doesn't stay damp for too long after watering.

The only other thought is possibly mildew, but you should be able to see that on the leaves.

If it's neither of the above, then I hope someone else can advise.
    I'm off to the greenhouse now to sow my Cucumber Mini-Munch seeds :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LewisiumLewisium Posts: 99

• EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Posts: 120
    Are the drooping leaves you mention the brown seedling leaves? As these are meant to die off. Other wise The plants look good to me, they will need supporting soon too as cucumbers are climbers.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,583
    They look ok to me too except there's some brown mark on one stem I can see.
    If the stem is diseased/ damaged, then water is unable to reach the rest of the plant.
    See how they go, but keep an eye on the stems.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LewisiumLewisium Posts: 99
    Are the drooping leaves you mention the brown seedling leaves? As these are meant to die off. Other wise The plants look good to me, they will need supporting soon too as cucumbers are climbers.
    That's the issue.... they aren't getting taller at all, they've stayed the height they're at for about a month now, the telegraph variety aren't dwarf either. I don't know why they aren't getting any taller at all. 

The drooping leaves are on the cucumber to the right, the big green leaves not the cotyledons. You can probably see the brown stick in the pot on the right hand side cucumber. If i took that out, the plant falls almost horizontal. 
  • EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Posts: 120
    I sometimes find that my tomato’s growth stutters when I pot them on to bigger pots but they do get going again so if you have recently potted them on they may just be settling in to their new homes.