Forum home Plants

Verbena

Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 201
Just after some advice. This is my verbena boriansis and so far it's not growing. Am I being impatient or is it a goner?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,707
    Give it more time, it is still early.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 201
    Thanks. I am impatient haha
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 4,260
    @Ryan180680 Over time they do become woody and the better plants are the seedlings. Something is growing in the pot other than the main plant these could be seedlings. You might also find seed growing in the ground nearby. You don't need to dead head and that way you will have more seedlings . If you love Verbenas look out for V Bampton and V Hastata. Good drainage is needed in a pot too.
    RETIRED GARDENER, SOUTH NOTTS, SOIL.

A good gardener's eye sees more to be improved. Robin Lane Fox
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,085
    Where are you [roughly] and when did you cut it back @Ryan180680?
    If you cut it back before winter, and you're in a colder, wetter part of the country, it may not revive at all. If you did it recently, you'll hopefully get some growth once it's warm enough to come away again.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 201
    I'm in Stockport. I initially cut it back to around 10 inches before winter. But only recently cut it back to how it is now probably around a week ago. I did have it under cover throughout winter also 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,085
    Should hopefully be ok then. Just need to wait   :)
    Ideally, leave the foliage on over winter for protection, although you might be ok, generally, where you are. Then cut back when new growth starts to get going. That's always safer.
    They don't really need overwintered under cover as such, although it can help in very wet, cold conditions. 
    It's also a good idea to use any material you cut off for cuttings, as a back up. I have to do that most years, as they don't reliably seed here, and the main plants don't always survive either. Cuttings taken later on in summer can be overwintered somewhere sheltered - in a cold frame or similar.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,393
    Doesn't look great @Ryan180680.  They seed like mad in my garden.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.