Forum home Problem solving

Tulle - could this be the solution to problems?

Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 428
edited 21 March in Problem solving
Just read that slugs and snails don't like walking on tulle, also read that tulle can protect plants from birds, rodents and rabbits without killing them if they get caught up in it.

It appears not to be as strong as garden netting which means if birds etc., get their claws caught in the net they can break free. At least that's what I understand. I watched a YouTube of a woman who was a firm believer of tulle in her garden, she said after having tulle netting in the garden for several years, she's never had a 'fatality' caused by tulle - plenty of holes where the pest has broken free. He garden resembled some sort of 'dream world' with airy-fairy netting blowing in the wind. Not something I'm keen to copy though.

After discovering young seedlings in a cloche eaten by slugs this morning, I'm now on the war-path for a solution.

So I've just bought 2m of 150cm black tulle to act as collars etc around plants for £4.60 to keep the slugs and snails at bay, and 2m of 150cm wide white tulle to place over the top of vulnerable plants. 

Fingers crossed my dastardly plan works - one can only try, even if it slows down their gallop ;)

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 428
    edited 21 March
    deleted

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,574
    Be interesting to see if it works Jenny, do let us know. I don’t have a big slug and snail problem but the snails I have do make a beeline for the young dahlia shoots. I spread moisture-sucking volcanic gravel in a circle around those and they can’t cross it. Probably no good for young seedlings though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    I hope it works 🤞 ... but they'll probably just tunnel underneath it ... the b*$$*rs 
    🐌🐌🐌
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,049
    Is that tulle as in what ballet tutu skirts are made out of? Let us know how it works out!
    JennyJ said:
    Is that tulle as in what ballet tutu skirts are made out of? Let us know how it works out!
    Yes it is, it could be an interesting conversation if my OH gets to the delivery first, don't know what he'd make of the black netting  :D
    You're going to dress up as the black swan from Swan Lake of course :D (do swans eat slugs?)
    It'd be a pantomime and not a ballet if I dressed up as the black swan :D 

Good question... from swanlovers.net

"Swans Living on Natural Fresh Water Rivers/Creeks/Ponds/Lakes will Typically
    Eat Pond Weeds, Duckweed, Stonewort and Wigeon Grass, some Algae
    as well as Tadpoles, Worms, Slugs and a WIDE Variety of Insects."
    edited 21 March
    Perhaps if you did dress up as a swan, you might scare away the slugs :D
    Seriously though, I'm wondering if  a few layers of black tulle might provide a smidge of frost protection and look less unsightly than white horticultural fleece (although it has to be said, mine is looking decidedly grey after many years of re-use).
     :D there's no 'might' about it  :D

Yes, there's a slight possibility I suppose about frost protection. I've also read that ribbons of tulle tied to posts and tree trunks can deter squirrels and other creatures from climbing. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,908
    edited 21 March
    In a similar spirit, Bunny Guinness was recently waxing lyrical about scaffolding netting. Very effective, long lasting and cheap, apparently.