Forum home Garden design

Garden arch… metal or wood?

I’m getting an arch to grow a climber over, probably armandii, and wondered everyone’s opinions on wooden vs metal arches? Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    Depends on what you like.
    It'll need to be hefty though, and well seated in place, for that clematis  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,399
    I prefer the look of wooden arches but I chose metal because I am not capable of erecting a wooden one and wood will rot eventually.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    I would go for metal as well, and a good solid one  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    The problem with some of the wooden ones available, is, they're flimsy cheap wood, often just 2x2 for the posts. That's no use for a big climber. Annuals, but that's about it.

A proper arch or pergola needs solid, 4 inch posts, 3 inch at least for an arch, and it needs to be good quality timber. Just as you would have for a solid fence. 
    It would last donkey's years if done properly.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I put in an Agriframe metal arch about eight years ago and it's solid as a rock, and looks like it was put in last week. I kind of hoped it might weather a bit, but, no. I like the look of wood too, but I would be thinking about having to replace mine about now, if I'd chosen wood.
  • We bought a couple of Barrington metal obelisks last year - but they also do an arch in the same raw metal (it's designed to go rusty!). If the arch is built the same then I'd highly recommend.
     This is where we got the obelisks from
    https://www.gardentrading.co.uk/products/barrington-rose-arch.html
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,536
    I think it boils down to preference, then choosing a sturdy, good quality one in your preferred material. I suspect a good, sturdy metal arch is cheaper than the equivalent in wood, so price comes into the equation too.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    I've had an agriframes arch for 25 years. Still as solid as the day it went in. It has beech, clematis roses and wisteria all fighting for space on it.
  • fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 352
    We bought a couple of Barrington metal obelisks last year - but they also do an arch in the same raw metal (it's designed to go rusty!). If the arch is built the same then I'd highly recommend.
     This is where we got the obelisks from
    https://www.gardentrading.co.uk/products/barrington-rose-arch.html
    Thanks @mikeymustard this looks sturdy! It’s a rose arch… would a clematis be ok on this? Looks quite gappy? Thanks 😊
  • fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 352
    @fidgetbones @Fire will take a look at agriframes 😀👍