Forum home Garden design

Redesign after tree removal

I'm looking for suggestions please for what to do following the removal of a Holly tree. Ideally I'd prefer not to need too much hard landscaping but open to suggestions. The first view faces due north and the box hedge will be trimmed square so the border with the mahonia will have more planting space. I'm not wedded to the mahonia so it could come out. The second image shows a wider view of that part of the garden. The grass will be renovated and the pots are temporarily there whilst some work was done on the house.
Soil is sandy and slightly acidic and I'm located in South Norfolk

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,487
    Hello @andrewnewton

I think I would be inclined to take the mahonia out and perhaps put a bird bath or statue at the end of your path as a focal point. if it's north facing. Can't quite make out the box you mentioned. The lawn could then be curved round from the path to the seat, perhaps with a stepping stone or two? 

I'm sure other posters will have more ideas.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

Are you wanting to plant up the whole area to the left of the Mahonia, or is that all going to be turf?
    Do you see that section from a window? That can often make a difference. A nice focal point, as suggested, or somewhere you can have winter/early spring colour etc :)

What else do you have in the garden, re planting? Do you like particular colours etc?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

Are you wanting to plant up the whole area to the left of the Mahonia, or is that all going to be turf?
    Do you see that section from a window? That can often make a difference. A nice focal point, as suggested, or somewhere you can have winter/early spring colour etc :)

What else do you have in the garden, re planting? Do you like particular colours etc?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    I like @Lizzie27's idea of a focal point at the end of the path.  Does your north facing aspect get any sun at all or is your planting limited to shade tolerant plants?  If the latter, you could add a bit of interest with some Fatsia japonica, the green variety or the variegated ones - Spider's Web is unusual and will introduce some light into your planting. 

Although normally sun loving, Phormiums are remarkably shade tolerant and will also add life to your space.  I'd choose one of the variegated varieties like Tricolor.  You could consider some Acers also and hardy geraniums would make good ground cover and introduce flower colour. 

I have a woodland type area in my garden and have used a shade tolerant grass, Hakonechloa macra to provide some interest and colour, plus spring bulbs like Anenome blanda and snowdrops.

If Box is unblighted in your area you could also consider adding other geometric shapes like columns, domes or cones around the garden to create structure.

A quick fix would be to apply an algicide to your paving - it will renovate it very quickly!
  • Lizzie27 said:
    Hello @andrewnewton

I think I would be inclined to take the mahonia out and perhaps put a bird bath or statue at the end of your path as a focal point. if it's north facing. Can't quite make out the box you mentioned. The lawn could then be curved round from the path to the seat, perhaps with a stepping stone or two? 

I'm sure other posters will have more ideas.
    Thanks for that. The box hedge is on the RHS of the first photo. Stepping stones could work and creating a focal point
  • Fairygirl said:

Thanks for the input and rotating my photo !! I'm aiming to reseed the area to the left of the mahonia. As you may be able to tell the Holly shaded out even the grass. As the tree only came out in November I'm not quite certain how much extra light there will be.
    I appreciate it's difficult to make suggestions without a better overall view.This area can be seen from the back of the house but it's not somewhere I sit and view the garden from. Perhaps if I post some additional images tomorrow to give some more context that may help. The path leads to the bottom area of the garden which isn't used as much as the top section.
    There are a selection of shrubs in the garden - cornus, rose, magnolia, with geranium, sedum and salvia. The garden is what I think of as country style with a mixture of shrub, a couple of large trees lawn and mixed borders. Colour wise I quite blues, purples, creams and pale yellows although not averse to reds. Not too keen on orange or yellows though
  • I like @Lizzie27's idea of a focal point at the end of the path.  Does your north facing aspect get any sun at all or is your planting limited to shade tolerant plants?  If the latter, you could add a bit of interest with some Fatsia japonica, the green variety or the variegated ones - Spider's Web is unusual and will introduce some light into your planting. 

Although normally sun loving, Phormiums are remarkably shade tolerant and will also add life to your space.  I'd choose one of the variegated varieties like Tricolor.  You could consider some Acers also and hardy geraniums would make good ground cover and introduce flower colour. 

I have a woodland type area in my garden and have used a shade tolerant grass, Hakonechloa macra to provide some interest and colour, plus spring bulbs like Anenome blanda and snowdrops.

If Box is unblighted in your area you could also consider adding other geometric shapes like columns, domes or cones around the garden to create structure.

A quick fix would be to apply an algicide to your paving - it will renovate it very quickly!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out
  • I've added some more photos which may help give some more context from bottom to top
    1) Rear of house on to patio
    2) Path off patio facing north
    3) View facing west at end of path
    4) View facing south towards top end of garden taken approximately where green garden bag is located