Forum home Plants

I have no idea what this plant is - can anyone identify it please?

Pink678Pink678 EnglandPosts: 85
I was gifted this nice plant. It can produce red flowers I was told. The leaves are a bit succulent-like and fall off easily. I would love to know what it is.

Does anyone know what it is please?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,634
    A type of succulent l think. l'm sure someone will know which one  :)
  • Pink678Pink678 EnglandPosts: 85
    Oh good thank you, I like succulents a lot :)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    It could be Lampranthus or Delosperma Cooperi. I think Lampranthus has more fleshier leaves. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,473
    I think it's Delosperma, I have one.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,185
    Yes I agree but unable to say which one .Just a thought your pot looks lovely but did you add plenty of grit in the compost mix as it needs to be sharply drained
    Ok, so Lampranthus or Delosperma, thank you all!
    I had a look for images, and it seems there are quite a few varieties of each.
    I wonder if the leaves on the Lampranthus look most similar to mine. With the little pinkish bits on the stems.

I have not put grit in Suze thank you for that tip. I am very new and do not know what i am doing!  I put a good amount of broken clay and big stones at the bottom, but then I filled it up with multi purpose compost with just a little bit of chicken manure pellets. I just repotted it yesterday. Should I re-do it with grit?

And does this plant do OK in the shade?  As the place where that pot is supposed to hang is on a nail in an alcove. It is light-ish but never gets any direct sunshine on it. I was wondering about giving the plant holidays in the sunlight by moving it to the patio for a couple of days a week when sunny.
    I found this picture of a Lampranthus online where the leaves/stem look a bit like mine:

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,634
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/70829/lampranthus-roseus/details

It does say that they like full sun, but l suppose some is better than nothing. If the alcove is reasonably bright it might be OK. Is there anywhere brighter you could move it to? 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,185
    Think I would plant it in half grit half compost mixed. Full sun needs to feel like it's in the desert. Someone else will help with name not sure if it is necessary to feed it but I doubt it.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    The soil needs to be free draining, and no need for feeding at all. I would add grit or perlite to aid drainage. Full sun to keep them compact and flowering.