Forum home Garden design

Madame Alfred Carriere Sun Requirements

Hello all, I just found this forum yesterday and thought you could be a great help. I am planning on buying two Madame Alfred Carriere roses. I want to use them on a strong large trellis of course to create a privacy wall for a secret garden sitting area. I would have one on each side of the entrance. The problem I’m struggling with is that one rose would get full sun all day long but the other one would only likely get full sun for the morning and early afternoon as a large tree would add some shade to that area as the sun moves over it. Trimming the tree is not an option. Do you think that morning sun until 1-2 in the afternoon would be enough sun for Madame Alfred Carriere to bloom and flourish or do I need to rethink my plan?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,399
    Welcome to the Forum, Michelle.

That amount of sun will be fine. Mme Alfred Carriere can be grown on a shady north wall to a place in sun. She is a tall rose so needs enough room, but your trellis is strong and wide so the roses can be trained along it. The stems are pliable and almost thornless . I had one at my last house which I planted in 1991 and was still going strong in 2020.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703
    Welcome to the forum, Michelle.
    Be aware that Rosa 'Madame Alfred Carrière' is a thug. It can grow into a real tree. You probably only need one specimen.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    The roses are to be on each side so I thought opposite or at right angles with a trellis each. Mine was up a pillar and over an arch over stone steps. It was tall but not a thug.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 614
     Mine reaches past the 2nd floor windows and spreads about 12ft. It's on a NE facing wall and flowers in 2 flushes with a few blooms in between. 
    You have a pretty house @Suesyn, I love the stone walls. My house in France has limestone walls too.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 614
    Thank you @Busy-Lizzie, unfortunately the gardens not as big as I would like but I expect as time passes it will soon be big enough for me to cope with.