Forum home Plants

Amelanchier query

thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 410
Hi, I'm looking at getting an amelanchier for a quite open spot but I don't want to have to prune it (only because I'd like a natural shape if possible, not that I can't prune if needed) and don't ideally want it to grow enormous. 4x4m or slightly bigger is ok but I've seen anything from 3m tall to 10m for the same cultivar and I thought these were on their own roots.
Our local garden centre has a couple of options so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them or had them?

The first is amelanchier la paloma and the other as amelanchier laevis ballerina. I can find some infomation about the first but the second seems more difficult because it seems laevis is a synonym of lamarckii but very few places have them but do list grandiflora ballerina. I'm guess they are all the same cultivar but I'm not certain as the sizes can be pretty varied. Unfortunately the labels at the garden centre simply have the name and price, no other information. So any help would be appreciated.  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025
    La Paloma is the one I wanted but it wasn't going to be available until autumn from the outlet I'd earmarked. It would have suited me, but I got a standard canadensis locally instead, which will be fine.
    To be honest, a lot depends on your site and conditions, so info can be very varied anyway, as with any shrub or tree. 

Here's some info re Ballerina.
    https://www.pippintrees.co.uk/trees/amelanchier-juneberry/amelanchier-ballerina

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    Mine is about 20yrs old and has reached about 3-3.5m it's not a named variety.
    My neighbour also has one that was planted about 10yrs ago and that is almost exactly the same height. That was a named variety. I don't remember the name but it has bronze leaves initially, mine doesn't.
    At this time of year the pigeons are decimating the buds on my neighbour's one - as they do every year. They seem to leave my plain one alone mostly until the berries appear in late summer.
    I do prune wayward suckers now and then to keep it where I want it and it's about 1.5m wide.
    My neighbour's is about the same.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,308
    Don't concern yourself with ultimate height, it'll be decades away so work with your 4m x 4m  for 'Ballerina'.
    All 'Ballerinas' are the same whatever name they give it.   It's a beautiful small tree which I've grown myself, under the lamarckii label..

You won't be disappointed..  I do not know La Paloma.  
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,667
    I do not know A. La Paloma either.
    Did grow Amelanchier x grandiflora Ballerina in old garden.
    But moved in 2013 so no idea of eventual size.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/85116/amelanchier-x-grandiflora-ballerina/details
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 410
    Many thanks everyone. I'll see what available when I'm ready to buy without to much worrying over eventual size.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,293
    We chose a multistemmed amelanchier so that we could reduce its size without pruning and spoiling the natural shape ... if/when ours outgrows its allotted space I'll take a few of the older/larger stems out.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025
    They're pretty straightforward @thevictorian, so I would just get one you like, and enjoy it. Worry about the size later. They can easily be pruned without any problem   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....