Forum home Problem solving

Camellia and rhododendron - no buds

sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 25

Hi, photo shows  2 x camellia golden anniversary (outer) and 2 x rhododendron percy wiseman. Bought when flowering and planted them last year. No buds on any of them this year - any ideas? Only the camellia on the left gets about 3 hours of sunlight all others in shade. Soil has tested alkaline so I know I should make it more acidic. Should I transplant them to a more suited place. Any advice much appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Not enough water in late summer is the usual reason. That's when the buds form on both species. 
    Alkaline soil is no good. Neutral to acidic is what they need. They'll always struggle if your soil is alkaline. Hardly any of them like it, and you'll be constantly adding to it to try and alter it, which doesn't really work long term anyway.
    Dappled shade is the best site for them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 25
    edited 19 March
    Thank you Fairygirl, I will move them. Any ideas for evergreen shrubs in this area? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    My soil is suitable for the camellias and rhodos, so it's difficult to suggest any. Other posters may be able to advise better  :)
    Ilex [holly] and Osmanthus are usually fairly easy, and evergreen. Flowers are small on the latter.  Many Viburnums would be ok, but not all are evergreen.
    Unless it absolutely has to be evergreens, Spireas and Potentillas don't usually mind pH too much but aren't evergreen, and some Magnolias could be ok, but you'd have to do some research on the latter to check suitability. They vary. 

It would depend on your climate too, and the moisture retention of the soil etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 25
    Thank you Fairygirl!