Forum home Plants

Weeds or not?

2»

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,817
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd, bushy one, tuned out to be a willowherb. Weed.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,875
    edited March 2022
    I hate to disagree @bertrand-mabel 😊 but I am 100% certain that the second photo is not Hogweed … I have picked copious amounts of hogweed for rabbits and goats on the farm and smallholding. 

It is, as I said, a milk or sow thistle. I’ve also picked large quantities of these for the same animals. 

However, I agree that it needs to be rooted out … sow/milk thistles seed all over the place. 😠 

😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FireFire Posts: 18,965
    edited March 2022
    What's wrong with common hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium)? New sprouting leaves are  good to cook and the stems make good pea shooters. It's a beautiful plant. Harvest and cook as you would nettles.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,875
    edited March 2022
    Nothing’s wrong with Common Hogweed … it’s a plant I love and great in ‘wild’ gardens, banks and hedgerows. It’s flowers are loved by hoverflies, the seeds are great for birds and small mammals and I love to see it  😊 

However most folk regard it as a weed when it’s in their gardens and, if unwanted it’s best to get it out when young as it can develop a deep and tenacious tap root. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.