Forum home Problem solving

Landscape problem

• What do people suggest I do here. It’s a rental house so don’t want to waste money & time but it’s so ugly as it is 😞
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,984
    It mostly depends on your budget, your location and climate, the soil, the aspect and how much time you have to spend maintaining it.
    In addition to that, your likes/dislikes and how you want to use the space. If you have dogs/children etc, that often dictates too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• There’s dogs and grandchildren. Also the only access is through the living room 🥺( I know I really don’t think the landlord thought about it) I really like the idea of a woodland garden but it’s just such an ugly bare spot atm
    For a woodland styled garden, you need suitable shade and moisture, and then the right plants. Many early plants need shade in summer, which deciduous planting provides. If you haven't been there long, and don't know what else may appear, it's better to wait and see. There could be all sorts of plants in that area.
    Without knowing a lot more, it's very hard to recommend anything, and your budget is key   :)

• We’ve actually been here years and nothing grows there . I’m thinking maybe ferns ? I have a couple on the other side and they come back year after year. Even with me not having green fingers 😂
    All sorts of things will grow, but you need to see what the soil is like, and how the climate affect the space.
    If it's dry shade, there are plenty of things that will suit, but it can be a case of trial and error, and also adding some conditioner to improve the soil so that it holds onto moisture better.

I'm afraid my conditions are the opposite, and even evergreen shade is fine for many plants because the soil doesn't readily dry out.

Hardy geraniums would be fine once established, and many types of spring bulbs, and things like Epimediums. Japanese anemones too, although the white ones prefer a bit more moisture. 
    Everything needs care though, initially, until established.