Forum home Problem solving

Am I completely stupid

I just sowed some seeds, and to prevent washing them away I decided to sit the tray in water so it soaks up from the bottom. It’s not absorbing the water at all after 15mins it’s still dry. What on earth have I done wrong?  How can I mess up something so simple?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    What type of compost did you use ?
  • mchuamchua Posts: 138
    MP
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    Might be a daft question, but your seed tray does have holes in the bottom ? You haven't used a gravel tray by mistake?  (Says someone who might have done that once 😊)
    No just your typical seed tray. No individual compartments. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,670
    Did you tamp the compost down in the tray so the compost was reasonably compact ?  Does sound a bit peculiar if the compost is still bone dry after 15 mins tho.
    Presume you have poked your finger into the compost to see if it has started to soak up the water ?
    Yes I tamped it down in layers as I filled it up. So not many air pockets. 
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 283
    How dry was the compost? I've had it happen a couple of times that it got so dried out that it became hydrophobic. In one case I used a tiny bit of soap in the water, and just yesterday I was soaking a very dry plant and it took overnight to absorb any water, presumably for the same reason. 
    Mander said:
    How dry was the compost? I've had it happen a couple of times that it got so dried out that it became hydrophobic. In one case I used a tiny bit of soap in the water, and just yesterday I was soaking a very dry plant and it took overnight to absorb any water, presumably for the same reason. 
    It was dry yes. It’s been kept in my shed for a few months. But I do wrap the bag up tightly always.  But maybe that won’t make a difference to it drying out I’m beginning to think?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,394
    Dry compost is quite hard to rehydrate. Do you have a fine rose on a watering can? If so then try a watering from above and see if it sinks in or sits on top. Sometimes if you water from on top it seems to make a connection with the water below which then sucks up better.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 694
    Leave it in for an hour or so.. it'll re-wet eventually.