Forum home Plants

Mystery plant

hdl986hdl986 Posts: 10
Hi everyone. We have bought a new house, and this plant is everywhere in the front flowerbeds…and also inside the house. It has grown through the chimney breast and is all over the inside of the house, like sleeping beauty’s castle. I would be super grateful if anyone can identify it!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862
    The stems look like bamboo, but the leaves not right unless it has already had a dose of weedkiller. Did the survey pick this up?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hdl986hdl986 Posts: 10
    The stems look like bamboo, but the leaves not right unless it has already had a dose of weedkiller. Did the survey pick this up?
    The stems are hollow, like bamboo. As long as it’s not knotweed, the surveyors seem not to mind what else it might be!
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,167
    I would like to ask other forum members does anyone know about Romneya Coulteri?
    I figure anything coming through brickwork needs regular doses of glyphosate weedkiller  to get rid.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374
    I would like to ask other forum members does anyone know about Romneya Coulteri?
    the leaves do resemble those Of R c and it is a spreader
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 456
    I really wouldn't be happy with a plant that could grow through a wall like that!
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,701
    Sounds like a nightmare plant to me. Found this that might help to ID your plant hdl986 including a video

https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/content.cfm?CFID=0ad545d5-ce19-4e57-93ec-d7ba903006a0&amp;CFTOKEN=0&amp;ref=Romneya - Growing Guide
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,167
    Romneya Coulteri would be in my top ten flowers stunning but invasive.
  • hdl986hdl986 Posts: 10
    I think that’s it! You’ve cracked it! Thank you very much indeed. I shall sleep easier knowing I can get it out of the house and the walls, and I might propagate a piece to keep in a pot. I’m really, really grateful. Thank you 
    I've always thought it looked nice, but no way if it goes through bricks like that.