Forum home Problem solving

Hebes

Hello lovely gardeners.
I have a few hebes which are now very leggy and bare on their stems. 
Should I prune into the stems and will they rejuvenate? 
I love them and don't want to lose them.
Thank you 😊 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    It's a common question, and the answer isn't always straightforward.  :)
    In theory, they can be pruned back and will regrow, but not all of them are as tough as others are, and therefore not all of them will bounce back. If you're in a cold, wet area, they can really struggle.
    If that's the case, it's better to wait until weather is warm enough that any new growth has a chance to harden up before bad weather comes in again. Around May/June would be ideal. Any material you cut off can also be used for cuttings, which will provide a back up [eventually] if the parent plant doesn't make it. 

It's always better to trim each year after flowering, so that there's less risk of them getting leggy.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• StaceyjStaceyj Posts: 60
    Thank you Fairygirl. I will take your advice and give it a prune later in Spring and hope for the best.

• Robert WestRobert West Posts: 133
    I've had all sorts of Hebes and cut them all back hard (I'm talking down to a bunch of bare 6-9" stumps) at some point. In my experience they all recover after about a year except the very small leaved ones. They seemed to die off. Bigger the leaves the quicker they seem to recover. Agree with doing it when it's warmer though. And expect them to look awful for six months to a year as they tend to grow back from the outside inwards rather than all over at once. But I have two that look great again now that we're stumps last spring. 
    Thank you for your advice Robert. I will definitive it a go later in the Spring.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    Your conditions dictate. Even small leaved ones can die off here very easily. The winter wet/cold is a bridge too far for them.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    I've noticed that the ones with big fleshy leaves are sprouting along the stem so I've pruned them. I've left anything with no sprouts for now.
    They're not called sprouts, are they? But you know what I mean😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Haha B3!! Probably not called sprouts really, but I like it!! I might use that from now on!!!
    Thank you for your reply.