Forum home Garden design

Flower bed shrub advice

I have this large bed outside my house. I don't own it but as I look at it all day I'd like to plant it up as its just full of weeds now. It is south facing, what spreading evergreen shrubs would you plant here? Its quite a large area

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    If you don't own it, you can't plant on it without the permission of the owner.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sking5sking5 Posts: 24
    It's a private road, I live in the road. I'd just like plant recommendations please
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited March 2022
    Ceanothus can be autumn or spring flowering, maybe consider both. They are not long lived plants, but can give a wonderful show and are great for pollinators. They like full sun so mght be good for your spot.

• LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,166
    Not a shrub as such but the perennial Anthemis tinctoria 'E.C.Buxton' would look great at the front edge. It loves full sun. It flowers for several months and is evergreen if cut back in November.

This is it in July.

And this is it last November just before I cut it back.

Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,978
    Are you sure it hasn't actually been recently planted, but the plants haven't had time to grow yet? If you've just moved in I would have a good look to see if there's anything in there.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    edited March 2022
    It looks as if there's already something planted there - a couple of trees, some shrubs against the fence and something silver-leaved, maybe other things too (the picture is blurry when I zoom in) so leave those be if they aren't yours to take out.
    If there are big enough gaps, but I'd go for tough and unfussy things like  cotoneaster (the low-growing herringbone one), variegated euonymus, maybe vinca minor.
    Nothing too tall near the front if it would block the view for driving into or out of the drive. Maybe a bark mulch in between while they're young, until they cover the ground.
    Bear in mind there might need to be access to the manhole cover.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    It must belong to someone else if it doesn't belong to you. Also, once planted it would need maintaining.

Choisya, Cotoniaster, Euonymus, Mahonia, with Lavender along the front.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Is does look like there is quite a bit planted against the fence. It might need extra tlc - your time well spent, in watering, weeding etc.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    It doesn't matter if it's a private road.  There are trees and other things planted in it, possibly by developers [quite common practice]  therefore you need to find out who is responsible for it's maintenance before planting anything.  :)
    I live on a private road, but I can't just go and plant things outside someone's property if there's a bit of ground full of weeds. I would have to find out who was responsible for the maintenance of that ground.  In our case, we are responsible for things like potholes, so we have a fund we all contribute to now and again. It's the same principle   :)
    It's worth contacting a solicitor to find who is responsible for that bed. If it's the responsibility of all the residents, you need to ask them to see if they mind you adding anything.  The answer would probably be no, but it's only responsible to find out first.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    Now that I've enlarged the photo it looks as though it has already been planted, but it's hard to see without a close up. Are you sure they are all weeds?
    Dordogne and Norfolk