Forum home Plants

Does anyone have a Mulberry Tree?

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 250
Be very interested to learn about them.
Thanks. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,138
    Yes, in that spirit of eternal optimism that is the plague of most gardeners, I bought a mulberry tree about twelve years ago.

Many years ago I had been seduced by the fruit of a large and venerable tree growing in the grounds of Kew Gardens. Then when we came to live up here I found another gnarled old specimen overhanging a tall stone garden wall. the fruits fell off when you touched them.

I decided that I had to have a mulberry tree.

Well, I’ve got one. So far the only thing that is getting gnarled and venerable is me. Not a flower. Plenty growth. Full sun. Care and feeding and attention to its every want and need.

How old are you? How patient are you? Do you like a challenge?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 250
    Ha ha. What a lovely reply. Thank you. 
    Perhaps I need to give it careful consideration. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,670
    Our neighbours inherited a huge and venerable mulberry tree of great majesty, but they are thinking of cutting it down. We were horrified, but took their point. The fruit drops all over the patio, their dogs and kids squelch them everywhere and create bloodbath trails into the house. A country house murder scene was similarly created by the pool of a hotel we stayed in some years ago.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,594
    I have a dozen babies grown form RHS seeds 3 or 4 years ago.  I'm planning to plant them in a line along or fence between "garden" and paddock and then pleach/espalier them.   They'll be underplanted with red stemmed cornus and winter snowdrops.

No idea when or even if I'll get some fruits.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Nollie 😂
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 894
    We have a 40 year old tree, it is very large and fruits well some years, not others like most fruit trees I guess. Occasionaly we get a year when the fruits are very maggoty, flies are really drawn to them. But when they are good they are fabulous, really something. I agree you'd want the tree over lawn like ours. What else? Um,  the leaves open late and fall all at once fairly early. The authorities were very keen to slap a TPO (tree preservation order) on it as it is a desirable type. The branches hang naturally very low and wide so bear this in mind if you might need to keep any access clear, we can't (ahem) cut ours now.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,373
    Nothing needs to be huge these days...

Consider the dwarf form, 'Charlotte Russe', that got top marks at Chelsea ..  it fruits in the first year, and sounds rather good..

https://www.suttons.co.uk/vegetable-fruit-plants/all-fruits/mulberry-dwarf-bush-charlotte-russe-mojo-berry_MH5436
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,507
    edited 13 March
    @Marlorena we were given one of these some years ago and what a disapointment. It produced 2 very very small fruits the first year which tasted of nothing. We have tranplanted it into the orchard and still does very little.
    We had a young true mulberry seedling planted out which grew very well. Leaves great and flowered well but the fruit wasn't set. In a storm (many years ago) it fell down. Some years later we found from the bottom some new growth. Have nutured this but as @pansyface says it will be such a long time before we maybe see any return.
    @alfharris8 what about a quince or a medlar? Fabulous fruit trees with lovely flowers in the Spring and good fruit. Yes you have to do the work before you can eat them but well worth it.
    @bertrand-mabel - we are having to fell a number of Ash trees which leaves us with space so we are considering  planting a small orchard in place of the Ash.
    I will certainly look at both your suggestions,  thank you 😊 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,507
    @alfharris8 we were able to purchase a small area of land some years ago and decided that we would turn it into an orchard as some many in our area had gone.
    We have a great variety of apples, some great pears, greengages, different plums and cherries (althought the birds will take them when they are green), quince, appricot, walnut (not producing yet), gogi berry...and some others that are still young and we await to see what they will do.
    Best of luck