Forum home Problem solving

Small tree has collapsed – replacement needed

RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 91

My small tree has collapsed. It was here before I moved in. I think it’s Grevillea Olympic Flame based on appearance and the fact that there are other Grevillea and a nursery that sells Australian plans nearby.

The cotoneaster in the rockery was covering everything so I pulled some out last Autumn to give the tree some base and a top of fresh soil and a feed. As you can see I’ve been rewarded with a great flush of flowers.

But the cotoneaster was clearly holding the slender trunks in place. Both have fallen over. I tried to tie them together for a temporary fix, but strong winds knocked them down.

I assume there’s no point trying to save it at this stage. I’m at a loss to know what I could even do. The back half has a long split in the truck so it will deteriorate.

I’m thinking of clearing the area and starting with something new – any recommendations?

It's very sunny in the morning/afternoon, on high-ish ground and can be windy.

• How about a crab apple tree? They are very robust little trees and are great for wildlife. Good choice of both leaf and flower colour with leaves of green or burgundy and flowers of white through to purple or deep pink. I have just planted a crab apple that reaches 13ft but you can get larger specimens.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 639
    Before i planted anything, i would want to know exactly what caused the problem in the bed.
    Sunny Dundee
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 91
    Thanks Lancashire Lass, I have two small apples out the back, but something the size of a crab apple would work alright.

Balgay, it was the removal of the cotoneaster from the base of the tree. The thin tree truck was wedged between thick cotoneaster branches.  It then leaned over in a storm without the cotoneaster for support.