Forum home Problem solving

Unwrapping banana tree

Hey everyone, I trimmed and wrapped my banana trees for the winter, I’ve just noticed some growth pushing against the fleece ?!? Can I get some advice on when to uncover it ? I live in Bournemouth 

thank you 😊 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,853
    What is the expected date of your last frost of the spring?  Mine gets greenhoused for the winter and won't come out until June. On the south coast it will be a warmer microclimate and you can start to remove its wrappings, but I would keep the fleece ready should the weather turn really cold again.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • tomcr1981tomcr1981 Posts: 37
    Hi, it says April the 11th - 20th. It was just as I noticed growth starting 😊. Should I wait till then, do you think ? Or I though input just opening the top and keeping the trunk bit wrapped …
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,571
    tomcr1981 said:
    Hi, it says April the 11th - 20th. It was just as I noticed growth starting 😊. Should I wait till then, do you think ? Or I though input just opening the top and keeping the trunk bit wrapped …
    Which variety is it,and where, roughly , in the country are you?
    Devon.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 410
    I'd let the growth poke out of the protection but have some fleece to cover the leaves if frost is due. I'm guessing you have musa basjoo, which is quite cold tolerant. The top growth can be cut back by frost but unless it's really cold, they regrow from the base.