Forum home Problem solving

Problem with newly laid turf

I do hope you can help , I had a new lawn put in my garden last October, everything was fine until the spring flowers started to appear in my new lawn , I don’t mind the daffodils and tulips, but what I don’t like is the Grape hyacinth they are coming up all over the grass ,,and in my new flower beds ,  plus there is other things which I don’t know the names are , I did have a boarder and these flowers where in the boarder ,,. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    The celandines (?) and bulbs in the lawn were probably dormant in the ground when the turf went down. The people who laid the lawn wouldn't have even known they were there if you didn't tell them, and in any case it would have been pretty much impossible to find and remove every bulb and every celandine tuber (they're tiny). Regular mowing to take off the foliage will see the bulbs off eventually although they'll probably keep trying for a few springs. The celandines (if that's what they are) might need digging out or spot-treating with weedkiller if you don't want them, although they do look pretty and they'll go dormant after flowering.
    Is it bought-in topsoil in the beds, or what was there before? If bought-in, it might be worth a complaint to the supplier, the worst they can do is nothing. If your beds aren't planted up yet I would suggest digging out the soil and removing as many bulbs as you can, including the teeny tiny innocent-looking ones if you can manage it, if you don't want them to keep coming back every year. You'll probably miss some and need to have another go at them next spring.

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,018
    In addition to @JennyJ's advice above, I think it would be a good idea to raise the level of your soil in that raised bed to a couple of inches below the top after you've removed as many of the grape hyacinth bulbs as possible.  Any remaining ones lower down will then be deeper and less likely to reappear, although from personal experience they are pretty determined!