Forum home Garden design

I had new turf laid last October everything was fine until spring started and I have , daffodils and

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    edited March 2022
    You need to post your query in the posting area, not where the thread title goes  :)

I can't remember the name of the purple leaved plant, but they'll all probably have been in the turf. It may be worth contacting the suppliers.
    Regular mowing will possibly get rid of the daffs and tulips if you don't want them. The other thing may not be so easy. Someone else will be able to ID it.
    Alternatively, a selective weedkiller applied on a calm day to the foliage will see them off.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,390
    I can see Daffs and Tulips but the others aren't clear ( could just be my eyesight tho ).

If your supplier just plonked turf down without checking what was underneath, it's not surprising that bulbs which were dormant in October have begun to pop up.

It would depend on whether you employed a company to lay the turf in which case they should have prepped the ground beforehand and seen that bulbs were in situ. In that case, have a word with them.  If you did it yourself, it's a different matter.

As @Fairygirl says, regular mowing will eventually persuade the bulbs to give up ( or you could dig them out ) but other more persistent  stuff will need treatment.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    first pic looks like Celandine Brazen Hussy
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,089
    The dark leaves plant looks like 
    Ficaria Verna ‘Brazen Hussy’. 

A pretty thing. It’s not as invasive as the wild green-leaved type and the leaves die down soon after the flowers are over in the spring. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    snap!
    Devon.
  • faintafainta Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your comments , I also meant to say the worst thing that is coming though my grass is grape hyacinth, I have them all in my front garden and they have come round to the back now and going everywhere, ,. I have got in touch with the man who has laid the turf , he was suppose to come to see me today , but didn’t turn up ,,,, ,. My husband always looked after our garden beautifully , but he now has dementia and cannot do our garden anymore, so I thought to make things easy for me as I’m not much of a gardener , I’d put grass and paving slabs down as I can cope with pots ,,. And my son can cut the grass ,,,. 
    sorry I have put this in the wrong place , will try to find the right place ,,,, but Thank You ,,,,.xxxxx
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Apologies if I slightly misled you @fainta. You're fine posting in the section you have, but you weren't able to make your query clear because you'd tried to put it all in the title instead of doing what you've just done in the post above  :)
    I think we got there with your problem though!
    It seems that all these things were in the turf, unless they were in the ground below, and therefore have grown through the new turf. Is that a possibility?
    I think it would have been quite difficult for all the bulbs to be in the turf without it being quite a decent depth, or without them being seen by whoever laid it.

It's still possible to deal with them all though, although the grape hyacinths can be a nuisance. If you keep mowing the grass regularly [or your son does] that will help keep them at bay.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....