Forum home Plants

Will I ever learn not to be tempted by free delivery :(

• UffUff Posts: 3,199
    They were recommended the other week and I bought 2 gooseberry bushes from them Fairygirl. Excellent communication all the way from acknowledging the order to delivery and the packing and plants were perfect. Price good too.
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,846
    edited March 2022
    I am always tempted by free delivery especially the company that sends from The Netherlands. I get charged a higher postage rate over here so it's sometimes not worth buying any plants once the postage has been added. If they have bargains and free postage I'm happy if they are coming from a company I can trust.  :)
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    The other problem, there's no knowing (unless you trust a company) what quality plant you'll get. Plants are nothing like the image on the webpage, and it appears you don't get what you paid for either, so it's no good thinking 'it's best to pay a bit extra for a good plant'. 

Thanks for the link @Fairygirl, think I'll go by recommendation in future.
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 335
    I just bought three blueberry bushes from RV Roger at £13.50 a pop. The £10 delivery charge on that, a dozen strawberry plants and a grapevine seemed a bit steep but I long ago accepted that delivery is never free, it's either sold to you honestly or underhandedly.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,434
    Fairygirl said:
    This is a very good supplier. We have lots of good soft fruit sellers as the climate suits them. Perthshire is renowned for it  :)
    https://james-mcintyre.co.uk/
    I used them to order some gooseberries and rhubarbs as a gift recently. So far so good, not overly expensive, and 5 plants gets free delivery.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    Amazon has returned my money without a quibble, with 'no need to return plant'. 

Now ordered Blueberry Top Hat from https://www.brooksidenursery.co.uk/blueberry-top-hat-patio-9cm-garden-ready-plant.html with a saving of 5p  ;):)

Thanks all x

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,836
    Winner winner @Jenny_Aster :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    That's good to hear Jenny_Aster
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
    Wow a significant number @Fairygirl - cakes all round at coffee time? Congrats  :)

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,501
    Amazon has returned my money without a quibble, with 'no need to return plant'. 

Now ordered Blueberry Top Hat from https://www.brooksidenursery.co.uk/blueberry-top-hat-patio-9cm-garden-ready-plant.html with a saving of 5p  ;):)

Thanks all x
    That's good.  Amazon is good in that way......unfortunately not good in other ways.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.