Forum home Problem solving

Verbena B. Showing powdery mildew....

.....Can it recover? It's not on all leaves and there is new fresh growth.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,281
    Yes I’m sure it’ll be fine. Have you cut it back yet?  I usually cut mine back to about 8-12” about now. You’ll get lots more growth from the base of the plant. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 21,401
    Mine usually get it on old leaves. New ones will be fine.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,484
    B3 said:
    Mine usually get it on old leaves. New ones will be fine.
    Mine too :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District foothills, CheshirePosts: 433
    Yes I’m sure it’ll be fine. Have you cut it back yet?  I usually cut mine back to about 8-12” about now. You’ll get lots more growth from the base of the plant. 😊 

I've learned by experience to leave the cutting back as late as possible. I've lost them in the past and put it down to water getting into the hollow stems that are left after cutting. There's been a lot of wind-rock this year so I've been tempted several times but I cut them back before Storm Ciara in 2020 and lost them all. :|
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,019
    I feel left out. Mine have never had powdery mildew.  :(
     ;)

At least a few have made it through winter this year though, so that's a bonus.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Dovefromabove yes I cut it back a bit, very tentatively to new shoots but it's still quite tall. Should it be shorter?
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,497
    I’ve cut mine almost down to the ground. Was that wrong 😮

I have a Buenos Aires one that has mildew last year but the standard VB was fine. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,069
    I have cut mine right back to the ground too think it will be fine. I am lucky there will be more seedlings to come. I also grow V Bampton which I love also seeds just as well. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,401
    In the right conditions ( sunny), they're a prolific , sometimes nuisance  self seeders.  On the shady side none but the brave . 
    I wouldn't cut them right to the ground but just above the lowest sprout.
    In London. Keen but lazy.