Forum home Wildlife gardening

Duckweed, yes or no?

In the process of creating a very small wildlife pond, it's not much more than a birdbath really. The deepest part is about 50cm x 50cm x 50cm (I was going to sink a trog in there), extended with shelving for a bullrush, marsh marigold, and an iris plant. The pond is lined with a pond liner. I've also ordered 'elodea densa' oxygenating weed plant for the water. 

Should I put in some duckweed to keep algae down, or is algae to be encouraged as a food source? No doubt duckweed will become a problem sooner or later, but should be easy to remove - but what about eggs etc., will they get chucked out with it? 

Think I've probably answered my own question :#
Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    In my experience you won’t have a choice … the duckweed will find its own way there on the bodies of frogs and the legs of birds. 🐸 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,534
    I would never purposefully introduce duckweed. 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,740
    I would never purposely introduce duckweed either. In fact, whenever I buy pond plants they go into quarantine for at least a month before I put them into the pond and that applies to my wildlife pond too. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    Never had it here. Maybe I've been lucky, but I certainly wouldn't introduce it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,517
    No whatever you do do not put in duckweed.
    We had when we bought another plant for the lily pond and it has continued to be such a mess.
    DO NOT PUT IT INTO YOUR POND....but it will get it there by other plants.
    Do take care.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,174
    edited 12 March
    Quarantine is a good idea. Algae is a PITA. I have tried everything to get rid of blanketweed, but it seems like the watery equivalent of mind-your-own-business.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,740
    Blanket weed can be eliminated by oxygenating the water and measuring the pond size and using an appropriate size UV filter and pond filter.
    It's best not to introduce duck weed in the first place.