Forum home Problem solving

Help my Daphne

SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 198
Hi all

My Daphne odora Aureomarginata lost all its leaves last autumn (they turned brown first) and looks quite sad. I scratched bark and it is still green (2nd photo). It’s been happy in its spot for 6 years and I don’t want to lose it. How should I look after it to bring it back to life?

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 394
    Is it not just a deciduous plant? I expect it'll be growing again in a couple of weeks if it is green beneath the bark. I don't think you need to worry, though someone more experienced may be along soon!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,293
    Daphne odora Aureomarginata is an evergreen shrub.  

Could it possibly have got too dry at the roots during the late summer/autumn?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,348
    Give it another season, sadly it looks as if you may have lost it. That is what daphnes do unfortunately, they look fine, suddenly drop their leaves for no apparent reason and turn up their toes and die. This has happened to many of us daphne lovers.
    It may survive another year or two, give it a chance.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree with @Joyce Goldenlily  They are prone to root damage/infections - I don't suppose you have planted anything nearby within the last few years?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 198
    Thank you all for taking trouble to reply. I didn’t plant anything nearby with big roots and I gave it a room to spread when I planted it 6 years ago. 
    @Joyce Goldenlily - first time I hear of sudden deaths of Daphne plants. I like its beautiful flowers and scent in winter and will be upset if it’s gone forever. I will wait a season to see if it comes back to life.
    Many thanks again to all.