Forum home Garden design

dark sloping area behind a hedge

Dear All
I tried grass but it only grows very patchy. It’s just so unsightly. What can i do to make it look a bit nicer? Any ideas?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    There you go

I think the only option is to create a bed, or space, for shade loving shrubs and plants. Unless you can take the conifers out, you could certainly fill the big dip in front of them [maybe using the soil from the muddy area?] and make a proper base/path for accessing it for maintenance. Just bark would do, with a simple edging to separate it from the grass/mud, or - if that muddy area is planted up, you can just leave a general area of bark between plants and hedge.
    The slope there wouldn't be a problem either - you can have groundcover which would disguise that. 
    It depends on your budget, but a new fence at the back would also help, and it could have a climber on it to disguise it a bit.  

Personally - I wouldn't have the grass at all on any of that section. I don't what other space you have at the foot of the pic, but if the steps just divide the area in two sections, you can have two completely different areas depending on conditions.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• katrinkempkatrinkemp KentPosts: 80
    thanks @Fairygirl for your suggestions and turning around my picture:-) I am working on filling in the gap slowly it’s actually deeper than i t looks. Not enough manpower atm. Bark sounds good and yes I need to cover the ugly fence in the back - unfortunately can’t replace it atm.