Forum home Problem solving

Product design project for gardening transport

edited 7 March in Problem solving
Hi, I'm a Product Design Student I have a project based for around the age of 65 and over, but ages below that can also respond as everyone has unique experiences.
The product is based around transportation of gardening supplies, tools etc while gardening. 

I'm looking for peoples experiences as ideas for the product. Responses can have:

- What you do in the garden (Like everyday tasks) 
- What's tools and equipment you use often in the garden 
- What challenges you face while gardening (e.g lifting, moving items, bending etc) 

(I'll be using some of these responses in my project, so if you don't want your response to be shared I wouldn't recommend responding to this.) Thanks! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,035
    It's a bit vague. You risk people either not responding at all, or writing an essay....
    Better to ask specific questions.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,411
    A flat bed trolley that could extend upwards or tip forwards might be useful
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,039
    I use a bucket or small trug to carry my hand tools around and a larger one to carry compost etc to where I need it, or to collect and carry away weeds and prunings. My garden is small with minimal paths to maximise growing space, so there isn't room to use a barrow or trolley or anything like that to get to where I want to work without trashing the plants.
    If I had a big garden and a big enough shed to keep it in, I'd probably just get a standard wheelbarrow and maybe a standard sack barrow. I've seen a trug-bucket-on-wheels type of thing but I don't think it'd be any better than a barrow.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,564
    I'm only 59, so my opinions don't count
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    I'm only 59, so my opinions don't count
    Sorry I wasn't more specific with it, I've updated my post now. Other ages opinions and experiences I'd like too, as I only specified the age range for the project. As if it were a final product anyone could use it afterall. :) 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,564
    I can't think of any " issue " which affects "65+" but nobody else.
    Not all " 65+" are the same .
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,547
    I wouldn't be without a good kneeler cushion  :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,039
    I'm only 55 but I won't stay that way forever so I'd hope my opinions do count.
    What would help for buying heavy/bulky stuff (not just garden stuff) is a small-ish car with the equivalent of a tail-lift, but that's probably way outside the scope of a student project :).
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 428
    Wish I could buy smaller compost bags for the same price per volume as bigger bags. I struggle with the bigger bags for the sake of saving a few quid.

Having tools with longer handles so I wouldn't have to bend double so much.

A wheelbarrow that I can load without having to lift something over the side of a wheelbarrow. 

Non-slip wellies!

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,565
    - What you do in the garden (Like everyday tasks) 

Weeding, mulching, pruning, tying-in and supporting plants, sowing, fertilising, composting, planting, moving/splitting plants, digging, raking, mowing, edging, hedge trimming, strimming, brush cutting.. how long have you got?!

- What's tools and equipment you use often in the garden

Basic small hand tools like fork, trowel, snips, secateurs, long-bladed weeder; fork, spade, telescopic lopper, rake; battery-operated multi-tool with hedge trimmer, strimmer, brush cutter, pole saw; push mower, 4WD ride on mower for the big wild bits.

- What challenges you face while gardening (e.g lifting, moving items, bending etc)

Pushing wheelbarrow up steep, uneven ground, lifting heavy sacks etc. A motorised tipping wheelbarrow with tough wheels would be great - they already exist, but way out of my price range. Unloading heavy sacks of compost etc. from the boot and transferring into the wheelbarrow, re @JennyJ’s car tail-lift on a car, a simple scissor-lift platform type thing on wheels might do the trick?