Forum home Problem solving

Laying fresh aggregate over area where bluebells bulbs are

I am trying to freshen up my front garden. Previous owners had bluebells (possibly Spanish ones) under old aggregate. I am not going to be able to get under and get all the bulbs up I don't think. I have started to hoe some of them. I could put weed membrane down but think they will probably still get through. Could a concrete base work? Photo here: 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,185
    @m02098975ANocN3A I would rather have Spanish bluebells than a lump of concrete .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    I don't really understand - you want to improve the space, but then you're saying you want concrete?
    Concrete will stop everything getting through....
    If you want to plant something else rather than having the bluebells, and you can't get them out, wait until there's enough green growth, and apply a weed killer. Then you can improve the bed with organic matter, and plant it up with shrubs/perennials/ground cover etc , according to the aspect and your location.
    You might still get some bluebells surviving, but they would have competition from the other plants. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,494
    Or you could hoe this time of year and forget about them until next year. You can still plant whatever you fancy. If any bulbs show themselves when you're digging the hole, have them out. Many of the bluebells will give up after a few years.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,185
    @m02Just a thought did you actually want to replant this area? Bluebells go down a long way and you probably will be removing them for years to come. If you are unable to get the bluebells out I cannot see how you will be able to dig holes to replant.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,494
    The actual bulbs don't take up that much space. As some of them go down to the equator, I just plant above them. I'm not a particular gardener so the odd one popping through doesn't bother me. I just pull the leaves off when they emerge. I can see how it would bother someone who likes a neat garden or wants to plant rows of vegetables,though.😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,156
    This seems like a wind-up.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't want to plant anything in this space, I just want to stop bluebells coming through and lay fresh decorative aggregate in the space. The bluebells are difficult to control in my garden and spread like wildfire.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    A very thick layer of heavy duty landscape fabric, coupled with a very thick layer of gravel should help, but bulbs can also spread sideways and pop out the sides, so you'd still have to be vigilant.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,453
    They are evil things. I hate them. Try and kill them off with Roundup if you can! If you just want to tart up the gravel area quickly, I would dig down as deep as possible, line with a heavy duty membrane, and gravel deeply.