Forum home Problem solving

Any solicitors on here?

Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,730
edited 6 March in Problem solving
We are detached. We have a garage in a sliproad,ours is the end one of 3. Neighbour has the middle one,he has screwed things  on the side of our garage,(end wall)   he has access through his garden to his garage, the  first property does as well.Surely he isn't allowed to do this? I've looked up every site d I can find,but nothing that fits this scenario.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,131
    Take several photos, for reference and for any future disputes.

Go and ask him why he’s used your wall. Ask him to remove whatever it is and use his own wall.

If he refuses, you can always ask a local solicitor to send him a legal letter stating the facts and his responsibilities and telling him to return your wall to its previous condition, but that would have to be declared as a neighbourly dispute if you were ever to try to sell your house.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,532
    It depends on who owns the garages and the walls I imagine and it would only be the owner who would be allowed to to do such a thing.

If you owned and lived in an end of terrace property and you neighbour started drilling into your flank wall that's plainly criminal damage

A call to Citizens Advice may help
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,730
    We always seem to have a******* neighbours where ever we've lived! I was going to post some pictures on here, to explain better. Hubby thinks it's a 'party wall' ,and that it's in 'his,'garden,I don't because it's not shared it's the end wall,of our garage only. He's put "various things" into the back of the other garage,(not his) but perhaps the other owners of the property don't mind. I just think it's a bloody cheek. We'll have a look in the garage, make sure it hasn't damaged anything. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,685
    If you cannot get any sense out of your neighbour via a friendly chat, I'd do as @pansyface advises.
    You probably already know that a simple ( but usually expensive) legal letter will not always resolve the situation unless your neighbour accepts he was wrong in the first place.  Little disputes like this can escalate way out of proportion and become a complete nightmare.
    Best of luck with it. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,730
    Pete8, we own the end garage
     They are in a block of 3,( the other lucky devils have theirs next to their properties) the right hand wall IS a party wall, dividing the garages, the end wall is the left hand wall of our garage. Hubby (although annoyed) thinks it's in next doors garden,I say it can't be because we own it. I do have a relative who is a solicitor.i agree about getting into disputes. Did you see in the highway code,you can't stop someone parking IN your drive!!! 
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 700
    What has he screwed to the wall?
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,465

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park:

• near a school entrance
    • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
    • at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
    • on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
    • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
    • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
    • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
    • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
    • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
    • in front of an entrance to a property
    • on a bend
    • where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,524
    If the wall forms the boundary of your neighbour's garden then it's a shared party wall unless you have a deed plan showing that you own a maintenance strip or similar alongside the wall. Shared ownership walls like this are always a nightmare legally though. It's like a wooden fence between properties. You might own it and have responsibility for it but you can't stop a neighbour from doing something that could cause it to rot prematurely without Civil action. Only work that could affect structural integrity is really covered by the Party Wall Act and there are quite a few exemptions that would probably let your neighbour attach what he likes to the wall without having to ask. No doubt if the wall needed an expensive repair it would suddenly become completely your responsibility but that's often the way with these things.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,524
    Did you see in the highway code,you can't stop someone parking IN your drive!!! 
    Isn't that because the Highway Code only legally relates to the public highway though? Private property is a separate legal area.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,685
    There is illegal parking and inconsiderate parking.  Illegal parking can result in a fine if you are caught.  Inconsiderate parking leaves it up to the culprit and the "injured" party to sort out as best they can.  I imagine there are more cases of the latter than the former ;)