Forum home Problem solving

Vine weevil grubs!

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,225
Hi all, bit of a dilemma I have a beautiful star Magnolia growing in a half barrel there are primulas growing around it. I noticed today that the primulas we’re not looking good and of course it was the dreaded vine weevil grubs. I pulled out the primulas and got out as much of the soil with grubs in as I can but my worry is will they now attack the roots of the Magnolia? It would be a big job to empty barrel and check roots but I don’t want to lose this plant as I have had it for many years and it has sentimental attachment. What would you do? Hope someone can help 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,679
    I think they do Debs, but l'm not 100% sure. Did you notice any damage to the leaves last year ?
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,225
    No, magnolia is looking good lots of buds ready to open so I hate the thought of losing the flowers this year if I disturb the plant. Plus it’s a huge task. But I don’t like the idea of grubs eating the roots either. What is it with primulas? 
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,744
    You could douse the pot with Nemasys when the weather warms up a bit.  I had the same problem with a large pot with a jasmine in it into which I also planted a heuchera. Vine weevil grubs got the heuchera but not the jasmine.  I doused the pot with Nemasys and even risked planting another heuchera in it.  Which is still there!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,225
    @didyw fantastic idea! I have used nematodes against slugs before but not weevils. Thanks so much for such a helpful suggestion. 
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 834
    I used nemasys last year as I had a very bad VW infestation in various pots. This year when I repotted the hydrangeas, I didn't see any grubs. Hopefully nemasys has worked.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,230
    @didyw No need to get another heuchera if you have a vine weevil problem. Wash the roots really well removing all the compost. They shoot very quickly from cuttings.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,689
    Not only wash the roots but poke up into the actual plant base as well.  You just need to remember that whilst the more mature grubs are quite easy to spot, those more recently laid can be as tiny as a grain of perlite and not so easy to spot. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,230
    Think the eggs are the same colour as soil?
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,570
    They are. And VERY small. I would cover the whole of the top of the soil in coarse grit once everything is checked and replanted. 

I’ve found that the grit stops them laying their eggs in the first place. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    If the magnolia is healthy and well established, it's unlikely to succumb.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....